LIP FILLERS AND SUN EXPOSURE
LIP FILLERS AND SUN EXPOSURE
Many patients ask “Can I go in the sun after having Lip Fillers ? “Here is our answer and a little advice.
Sunbathing, sunbeds and intense heat (such as saunas and hot yoga) ideally should be avoided for 2 weeks after Lip Filler treatment.
Always use sunscreen even on cloudy days. Research shows that excess sun exposure effects untreated skin and skin treated with facial fillers.
The same can also be said for Lip Fillers. Many patients are unaware that over exposure to sunlight can trigger cold sores in and around the Lip Filler injection sites.
Regular sun exposure is normally fine after Lip Enhancements. Being in the sun should not adversely affect your lip filler provided you take regular sun precautions.
Excess Sun Exposure after filler injections can reduce their effects and irritate your skin as it reacts to the treatment during its healing process.
The ultraviolet radiation present in sunlight may even degrade the hyaluronic acid, one of the components found in Juvederm, Restylane and other FDA approved fillers. Patients having dermal filler injections need to bear this in mind.
Spending time in the sun after receiving Juvederm or Restylane treatments should not lead to any complications. In rare cases, discoloration of the skin in the area that the filler was injected, may occur after too much sun exposure. This is very rare. As with any aesthetic injection treatment, limit your time in the sun and always put on sunscreen.
There is no absolute contraindication to having Lip fillers before going on a sun holiday.
It is important to understand that your lips are a very sensitive area. Most patients experience swelling (sometimes significant) and possibly some bruising for up to 2 weeks after their lip injections.
This is why Dr. Hamilton would always advise against having these types of treatments within a minimum of 2 -4 weeks of a sun holiday.
Here are some DOs & DON’Ts of exposing your skin to the sun after having Lip/ Facial fillers.
- Avoid prolonged sunbathing for 2 weeks after treatment
- Wear a high SPF Sun Screen on your skin and Sun Protection Lip Balm
- Make up/ Fake Tan- wait 24 hours after your treatment, to allow injection sites to heal
- Follow your practitioner’s aftercare recommendations so that your lips and skin have the enough time to heal and obtain the beautiful results you desire.
- Call your doctor straight away if you get sun burned or should you develop complications from facial fillers.
- Attempt to get a suntan if the filler treatment has left a bruise- Doing so could lead to long term darkening of the skin. It’s best to wait 2 weeks after Lip/Facial fillers treatment before looking to get a natural tan.
- Use tanning beds at all. Tanning beds are not a good idea whether people have fillers or not.
- Directly expose your treated skin/lips to the sun for more than 20 minutes. It’s important to keep the skin covered.
- Assume you can handle any complications that may develop from treated skin exposed to the sun; see your doctor right away if you start to have concerns.
To book a treatment firstname.lastname@example.org